Parental Rights

Last Updated: March 2020
Question Answer

Does the state allow for termination or limitation of parental rights when a child is born from rape?


Does the state require a conviction for the sexual offense to terminate or limit the rapist’s parental rights?


May the state terminate or limit parental rights when there was a sexual assault that led to the birth of the child, but no conviction?


What parental rights can be terminated or limited?




Are there any exceptions to the termination or limitation of a rapist’s parental rights?


What other rights may be impacted by terminating a rapist’s parental rights?


What is the procedure for termination or limitation of parental rights in these circumstances?

Victim must petition the Court

What proof do you have to show to terminate or limit the rapist parent’s parental rights?

Victim may petition court with evidence that rapist parent was found guilty of an act constituting sexual assault.

If rapist parent found not guilty, then the “court shall transfer the case to the Superior Court and the clerk of the Probate Court shall transmit to the clerk of the Superior Court to which the case was transferred, the original files and papers in the case.” Those documents may be used in the victim parent’s petition for termination of parental rights.

Are there any time limits for when a petition must be filed to terminate or limit the rapist parent’s rights?


Does the law apply to both adult victims and underage victims?


Does the law have any exceptions for married or co-habitating victims?


Can a court require the rapist parent to pay child support after parental rights have been terminated?


Statutory Citations

C.G.S.A. § 45a-717. Termination of parental rights. Conduct of hearing. Investigation and report. Grounds for termination

DNA evidence can increase likelihood of holding a perpetrator accountable.

Read More

Sexual violence has fallen by half in the last 20 years.

More Stats

The National Sexual Assault Hotline will always be free — with your help.

Donate Now